Development & Special Events Intern (IA #2122-02U)
The American Lung Association has a great opportunity for a Development & Special Events Intern to join our incredible team in Urbandale, IA. Alongside members of the Development team, the intern will join an outstanding group of professionals dedicated to our mission: to save lives by improving lung health and preventing lung disease, through research, education, and advocacy.
The intern will assist the American Lung Association Development staff to execute Fight For Air Climb activities to gain experience in the field of communication, social media, grassroots recruitment, volunteer and event database management.
TYPE OF INTERNSHIP
Before an unpaid internship begins, documentation from an accredited college or university will be required stating that this internship opportunity is eligible for academic credit.
This internship requires a minimum time commitment of 10 hours per week (flexible schedule) and must be eligible for course credit. This arrangement is for the Fall 2021 and must be completed by December 2021.
This is a great opportunity for the intern to enhance their skills in organization, multi-tasking, and communications. The intern can expect to develop confidence and marketable skills by engaging in or assisting with many of the following activities:
- Gain a basic understanding of the American Lung Association
- Become knowledgeable of mission, development, and communications efforts.
- Gain technical training by utilizing concur, Microsoft Teams and excel spreadsheets.
- Participate in staff meetings and learning opportunities.
- Assist with general administrative support for the Fight For Air Climb to gain exposure to specific events terminology.
- Assist in data entry, tabling promotional events, mailings, event promotion dissemination and volunteer recruitment.
- Assist with brainstorming and providing creative ideas to execute a successful Fight For Air Climb marketing, recruitment and fundraising plan.
- Gain a basic understanding of Concur, Microsoft Teams, Social Media platforms.
- Learn more about Non-Profit structure, including mission, development, and communications efforts.
- Gain technical training by utilizing Concur, Microsoft Teams and excel spreadsheets.
- Learn about team building and collaborating with staff.
- Learn how to develop communications for the Fight For Air Climb.
- Learn to cultivate relationships.
- Learn how to communicate in a professional office setting.
- Must be working towards a bachelor's degree in Non-Profit Management, communications, event management, or related field
- Must be eligible to receive college credit for internship
- Qualified candidates must be enthusiastic, reliable, and interested in developing a career in special event, or non-profit management
- Qualified candidates should possess strong writing skills, attention to detail, and have a keen interest in the mission of the American Lung Association
- Ability to multitask, perform in a team environment, and a demonstrated willingness to learn
- Ability to work independently
- Computer Proficiency – Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Ability to lift and carry 25 lbs. (supplies)
- Consistent with its mission, the American Lung Association maintains a smoke-free workplace; all interns must abstain from tobacco use in any form. Also, all interns are required to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless approved for medical or religious exemption.
Please e-mail your cover letter and resume to (include EXACT title in subject of email):
The American Lung Association is dedicated to a diverse workforce.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V